Interactive Bar

Google Search
Google Translate
Log in

Rood End Primary School

Get in touch

Contact Details


SEN Information Report


What Special Educational Needs provision is available to children at Rood End Primary School?


At Rood End Primary School, we make provision for children with any of the following areas of need:


· Communication and interaction difficulties


· Cognition and learning


· Social emotional and mental health


· Sensory and/or physical


We understand that many children will have difficulties in more than one of these areas and we will always strive to meet all of the individual pupil’s needs. Provision is continuously monitored and adapted to ensure that this is effective.





How does the school know if children need extra help?


What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?


The identification of SEND is part of our ongoing monitoring of the progress and development of all pupils. Class teachers will make regular assessment of progress for all pupils, identifying where pupils are making less than expected progresss. Where a pupil’s progress is causing concern, the child is reported to the SENCo who will carry out additional assessments. Pupils are initially put on the register as a teacher concern. If they meet the criteria for SEN support, other relevant agencies will become involved.


If parents/carers have any concerns regarding the learning of their children, we operate a very open-door policy. Class Teachers are available to discuss concerns, as is our SENCO/Assistant SENCO. Appointments can be arranged at mutually convenient times.





How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?


The Curriculum is differentiated for children within class and is accessible to all pupils. Access to the curriculum may be provided in a variety of ways, be it through a range of different tasks; additional resources/apparatus; extra time to complete; support from an adult; group work; talking partners and so on.





How will I know how well my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?


Parent consultation meetings are scheduled termly to keep parents/carers informed about their child’s progress within school. We also use these meetings to set targets. Our open-door policy is also crucial in enabling parents to speak to teachers about their child’s progress. Additional meetings can be arranged with the Class Teacher, SENCO or SENCO Assistant at a mutually convenient time.

If a child has an EHCP, parents/carers are invited to annual review meetings to discuss targets and the provision that is being made for their child.





What support will there be for my child’s overall well being?



Positive relationships are forged between our children and staff, so that children feel confident in knowing they can talk to someone if they need to. There is good liaison between school staff and outside agencies (if required) to build up a team around the child and share important information.

We provide support for any child who is experiencing any difficulties with their emotions or relationships from well-trained staff, including through Therapeutic Mentoring, Creative Therapy and Nurture Group. We also benefit from having a qualified counsellor, who is able to give more comprehensive emotional support. This, of course, would follow discussion with parents/carers and written consent.

All parents/carers have access to our Parent Family Support Team (should they choose to take advantage of this facility): her role is to act as a liaison between our school and life outside school.




What training do the staff supporting children with SEND have?


The school makes an annual audit of training needs for all staff taking into account school priorities as well as personal and professional development. All new members of staff undertake an induction process that includes a meeting with the SENCo to explain the systems and structures in place with regard to the school’s SEND provision and practice.

Learning Support Assistants are offered specific training regarding the specific needs of the children they work alongside.

Our SENCo is currently completing the National Award for Special Educational Needs Coordination with the University of Birmingham. This is running over ten months, and is a study at Masters Level.




What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?


We work with Sandwell’s Inclusion Support team which offers a range of support and advisors including:



· Education Psychologists

· Speech and Language Therapists

· Occupational Therapy

· Complex Communication and Autistic Team

· Physiotherapists

· Behaviour Support

· Hearing, Physical and Sensory Support

· Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services

· Language and Learning Support




How accessible is the school environment?


The ICT Suite, Library and all other classrooms are all housed in this building, which makes the full curriculum accessible to all learners. Our building offers ramps to main entrances and exits.




How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school



Advice from specialists is taken on board so that the school can make reasonable curricular changes/adaptations for children with specific needs.


Before trips are carried out, risk assessments and accessibility arrangements are carefully considered. For mobility-impaired children, arrangements are made in advance so that they can have as much access to the full experience as possible.





How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school or transfer to a new setting/school?


Links with other local schools are very good. The SENCos in the local area meet regularly so that transition of special needs and extra provision is smooth and well informed.

When a child leaves the school, the SEN team, class teacher and admin staff will ensure that records are passed onto to the new school.

When a new child registers at the school, the admin staff will request records from previous school. If necessary, the SENCo will call the school and speak to staff directly to collect more information regarding the child.




Who do I contact if I need more information?


SENCo: Miss A Savin

SENCo Assistant: Mrs A. Totney-Powell


Tel: 0121 552 1866





Where is the Local authorities

Local Offer published?



What if I require additional support?





You can contact Sandwell SEND Information and Advice Support Service:


Greets Green Children's Centre

Wattle Road
West Bromwich
B70 9EZ

Telephone - 0121 555 1821 (24 hour answer service).


For more information, click here.